Let us introduce you to the most beautiful, colorful little items ever to have emerged from our in-house laboratory: the Volumizing Natural Lip & Cheek tint! We are so thrilled to unveil these treasures to you: three shades that deliver a more modern beauty experience by combining safe, lush natural pigments with the latest in antiaging skincare technology.
Calling them mere makeup products would be an understatement: these tints deliver the perfect pop of natural color to lips and cheeks while helping to fill the look of fine lines, for skin that has the irresistible flush and volume of youth. Already dying to take a better look? See them on our website by clicking here.These products are exclusively available on tataharperskincare.com until January 2015!
In this post, we’ll share with you the inspiration, science and formulation process behind these tints – plus, we’ll take a close look at the colors themselves with photos, swatches, et. al!
Meet our three shades: Very Vivacious, Very Charming, and Very Sweet. Each one is long-lasting (we’ve been wearing them all day / every day, and have found them to last 6+ hours on lips and cheeks), easily blended, and feel satin-smooth on the skin. For the best application experience, we recommend applying them to skin that’s been freshly moisturized and, ideally, exfoliated, so it’s soft and supple.
Very Vivacious is a modern coral. It’s an energetic yet mature pop of color that you can wear every day, and that’s versatile enough to give you a variety of looks. When worn lightly, it gives a warm hint of coral; when layered, its color is rich and dramatic. Very Charming is our answer to every woman’s search for the perfect pink. It’s the ideal, classic candy pink and gives the cheeks a natural looking flush. Layer for a playful and strong pink color. Very Sweet is a soft, effervescent peach that can be used as a highlighter in addition to a blush and lip tint. It’s soft shimmer can be layered on top of either of the other shades for a bit of added glow. There’s more than meets the eye with these tints: they’re packed with skin-healthy and antiaging ingredients. The base of the formula is a blend of moisturizing and soothing Coconut Fruit Extract, which gives these tints a silky-smooth skin feel, and Jojoba oil, which helps hydrate while improving skin texture. Their formulas include high performance antiaging ingredients, too: Spanish Lavender Extract helps fight muscle fiber contractions to reduce the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles, while Lipoamino Acid Technology provides cheek-plumping benefits and boosts elasticity. These two ingredients are all about adding benefits beyond beautiful color, for skin that is its healthiest and most youthful self. Below and above, see some behind-the-scenes shots from the lab, where we create these colorful beauties. See the slight shimmer in the formula? That’s from Mica, a natural mineral that gives the products a gorgeous iridescence that softly reflects light and makes the skin glow. These formulas are the result of countless hours spent bent over petri dishes and high-speed mixers, leveling the natural minerals and pigments in the formula by tenths of a percentage till the shade was just right. We were aiming for a modern coral, a petal pink and a soft peach – but, of course, we weren’t willing to compromise with synthetic pigments or ingredients. Have you ever taken a look at the ingredient list on your favorite blush or lipstick? Sometimes there’s weird stuff in there – color derived from coal tar, heavy metals, who knows what. We wanted only the purest stuff on the planet. Our color comes from iron oxides, which are naturally occurring mineral deposits. There are synthetic versions and natural versions – ours are 100% naturally derived.
Remember our Open Lab event? In July, we gave a sneak peek of our Lip and Cheek Tints to the press in New York City, with a full mini-lab Lip and Cheek station in our event space, complete with customizable lip shades concocted by Amanda, who leads our in-house product research and development activity. Here are Tata and Amanda, two members of the team who developed these shades from scratch, proudly sharing their hard work!
We hope you’ll love these new additions to our line, and will enjoy wearing true beauty without compromise! Let us know what you think of the colors as you explore – if you share photos of yourself wearing the tints, just tag us @tataharper on Instagram and we’ll share your post!
Xo, Tata & the Team
As August draws to a close (what a sad start to a sentence!), and the intense heat of summer begins to fade into cooler mornings and chilly evenings, it’s a great time to take a step back and analyze what the summer has done to our skin. Here in Vermont, the summer is barely four months long, so everyone is in a craze of seizing-the-day the entire duration, because it always feels like fall is just around the corner. So, we’re serious about our adventures: hiking, swimming, sunbathing, taking roadtrips to our bigger, exciting neighbor cities like Boston and New York. It’s easy to fly through summer without thinking about our skin. So, today, let’s take a moment to care for our largest and prettiest organ.
Here’s what’s going on with our skin during summertime months:
1) Sun exposure. We don’t need to go on and on here – we all know that sun exposure on unprotected skin can lead to accelerated aging, causing premature fine lines, deep wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and overall collagen structure breakdown. Remembering SPF every second of every day is hard, and even the best of us skimp out with more frequency than we’d like to admit. (If you need proof, check out this photo – of a trucker who didn’t wear SPF and spent years with just one side of his face exposed to the sun. Whoa!)
2) Pollution. Summer is the season of dining under awnings on sidewalks next to traffic, jogging blissfully through city streets on sunny morning runs, and doing yoga on rooftops with our bff’s. Unfortunately, invisible air pollution is detrimental to the skin in many ways: it can lead to early signs of aging, dullness, sagging skin, fine lines and even eczema and acne.
3) Heat and Humidity. In hot, sticky weather, our skin sweats and produces more oil. This in and of itself isn’t a bad thing, but can lead to exacerbated skin issues like acne and oiliness if not taken care of (i.e. thoroughly washed off and exfoliated daily).
What can we do to get our skin back on track, now that we’ve stepped indoors from the beach and our lives are back to normal? Here are a few suggestions below….
1) DIY Facial Massage
There are many benefits to facial massage, including increased microcirculation and bloodflow, boosted oxygenation, reduced tension and speedy lymph drainage of toxins and buildup, leading to an overall healthier, more glowy look. Going to a spa and getting a proper treatment is one way to get the job done, but conducting a simple facial massage on yourself is a quick, 5-minute way to help your skin look more awake. Here’s a step by step:
First, cover your face in a very light layer of oil – we recommend jojoba oil, sweet almond, or a product like our Replenishing Nutrient Complex.
Then, with your face relaxed and eyes closed, gently massage the skin upwards, starting at the jawline and sweeping over the cheeks, lifting the skin. Do this all the way up to the forehead.
Next, pinch the skin in between your eyebrows, and lightly pinch your eyebrows going from the inside to the outer corners. This is excellent for relieving tension that builds up around the eyes and forehead.
Then, start at the top of your nose, and using the middle finger of both hands, make small circular motions pushing inward, down towards the bottom of the nose, to increase lymph drainage.
Remember to take big, deep breaths in and out during this entire time!
Next, use the ring finger of both hands to gently press under the eyes, out towards the cheeks.
Gently grab the skin of the cheeks and jaw and pull outwards in a pinching motion. Do this across the face, to boost bloodflow.
Finish off with a few more gentle sweeping motions upwards! Skin will feel refreshed and stimulated.
2) Detox Juice Recipe
Carrots give the body a boost of Vitamin A to speed up healthy liver function, while parsley, rich in Vitamins C, antioxidants and chlorophyll contribute to a strong immune system and a purified cardiovascular system. Spinach contains tons of glutathione, a protein that helps detoxify the liver, and apple helps the body reduce heavy metal buildup with a soluble fiber called pectin. We recommend making this juice daily for a week, to help the body (and therefore the skin) flush away toxin and pollution buildup from outdoor exposure.
Process through a juicer:
A handful of spinach
A handful of parsley
1 green apple
4) Apricot Resurfacing Mask Treatment.
When we developed our original Resurfacing Mask, it was formulated to work like a peel, to completely resurface the skin by removing the surface buildup of dead skin, dirt and toxins, leaving the skin clear, soft and glowing – but, without the downtime or irritation that often comes with peel treatments. This limited edition version delivers the same glow-getting, softening benefits as the original, but we’ve added Apricot Stem Cells, which helps soothe, calm and cool the skin following sun exposure, and Coconut Water, for a blast of hydration. This Mask is perfect for getting the skin back to a clear, balanced state following long weekends spent in the sun and wind. Even ELLE Magazine dubbed it an editor-favorite for its glowy benefits.
To use this mask, apply a thick layer to clean skin, ideally just after cleansing, or after a quick rinse in the middle of the day. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, to completely dry. Then, rinse thoroughly in warm water – a washcloth helps! Enjoy smooth, glowing skin.
4) Enzyme Blast Juice Recipe
Pineapple beauty masks are a popular DIY treatment for reducing acne, thanks to their powerful dose of Vitamin C and Bromelian, an enzyme that fights inflammation and helps to soften skin. But drinking pineapple juice has skin benefits, too, so we love this tasty, purifying juice recipe that blasts the body with vitamins and nutrients and anti-aging enzymes. This is a great drink to make in the mornings, to hydrate and wake the skin from the inside out.
Process through a juicer:
1/2 of a pineapple, chopped into chunks
1 green apple
Handful of spinach
Handful of cilantro
5) Intensive Skin Polish Treatment
Get the skin back to its softest, smoothest, most glowing self with a super-exfoliation treatment. By completely clearing the skin of buildup, you’re not only revealing your freshest, most youthful skin, but you’re minimizing pores, brightening the complexion and prepping the skin to better receive products that follow, whether it’s a collagen serum or a deep moisturizer. This is too intense of a treatment to do daily, but doing it once a week is a perfect amount.
Here’s what we recommend: Apply a generous pump of the Regenerating Cleanser to a wet Clarisonic brush, whichever one you use, and lightly moisten the face. Clean your face with the brush, not lingering in one area more than ten seconds. Be sure to focus on oily spots like the chin, nose and forehead. Rinse thoroughly – and your skin will glow.
Mature is a skin type I am very familiar with as the majority of my clients have mature skin and are looking for fine lines and moisture solutions… plus a little glow. Who isn’t?
The first tip in any healthy skincare routine is to love your skin, and mature skin is great. I loved what Cameron Diaz had to say in “The Body Book” about the anti aging culture and honoring the journey of older women by not upholding the expectation to defy age. We should celebrate the way we look! I too believe that in that philosophy and I love her approach to body and skin confidence. Without trying revert back entirely to our skin at eighteen years old, there are some things we can do to be kind to our skin and make it its healthiest and most radiant ever at no matter what age by taking care of it, every day.
And speaking of taking great care, if you have mature skin and are starting to see drastic changes in your skin, NOW is the time to get serious about taking care in all other areas. Adequate sleep, being in nature with fresh clean air, gut health and nutrition, hydration, even meditation (for reduced stress) can all positively affect the appearance of your skin. Being on the exterior, our skin certainly receives the most attention amongst all the body’s major organs but if you were to read about the body’s other systems and start incorporating overall health oriented practices in your day, I guarantee you would see changes you wouldn’t believe in your skin as well.
Below are my suggestions for a natural and nontoxic skin care routine for mature skin.
1) Moisture is so key so from step 1 all the way to step five I will be making recommendations that are designed to keep your skin supremely moisturized. Wash your face twice a day with our Regenerating Cleanser. Free of soaps, alcohols and detergents, this cleanser clarifies with fresh enzymes, clays and essential oils, while microspherical beads polish the skin – all without stripping the skin of moisture. Apply 2-3 pumps. Massage gently to activate the enzymes and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
2) Get the appearance of smoother, healthier, brighter skin with our Resurfacing Mask. Peels are great for giving us the appearance of radiant skin but we can’t afford to wait for a spa day to glow the way we were intended to. This award-winning beta-hydroxy treatment works like a traditional peel to provide an instant solution for dull skin – without causing downtime or irritation. It delivers an instant glow, minimizes the appearance of pores and improves texture for smooth, glowing skin. You’ll love the marmalade texture and juicy scent. Putting it on is a treat, not a hassle.
3) This is our hero product in the mature skin regimen- our Rejuvenating Serum. This serum is packed with 29 active natural ingredients that help reinforce collagen production, reduce the signs of aging, minimizes the appearance of enlarged pores and hydrate your skin to the high heavens. It promotes a firm, youthful look, while supporting elasticity and helping to protect the skin from environmental damage.
4) Again, moisture is key! We’ll say it again and again.You want a moisturizer that’s going to deliver hydration and plump the skin giving it that cushion-y look. Keeping hydrated is also going to help with this! I believe in products with quality Biocompatible Hyaluronic Acid because this ingredient delivers antiaging hydration deep in the skin to support a plump, youthful cushion while stimulating natural moisture production. It’s one of the most efficient ways to moisturize and preserve the skin’s integrity. Our Repairative Moisturizer is powered by this high performance ingredient as well as raw honey from our farm which is deeply nourishing and soothing.
5) Don’t forget the eyes and the lips. The skin around these areas is the most delicate on the entire body and often goes uncared for. It’s usually where fine lines, wrinkles and hollow skin appear most. Both our Restorative Eye Creme and Lip Treatments have Spanish Lavender which minimizes expression lines and deep wrinkles, helps to firm appearance of the eyelid, and reduces signs of fatigue and stress which we show in both areas.
Have more questions about creating a natural and nontoxic skincare routine for mature skin? Ask me on Facebook or twitter!
If you have oily skin… consider yourself lucky!
The first tip in any healthy skincare routine is to love your skin and oily skin is great. Yes, I’ll admit it gets a bad rap. Why? It doesn’t always give the desired look women want in photos and sometimes it can lead to clogged pores which can then lead to breakouts but instead of focusing on the flaws (we’ll get to solutions for them soon), let’s consider and appreciate its virtues while I share a natural skincare routine for oily skin along the way.
One of the greatest benefits of oily skin is that the oil gland secretion delivers Vitamin E to the skin, according to a 1999 study reported in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. This means: the more oil you produce, the more vitamin E gets delivered, which gives your skin protection from environmental damage and the sun. You still need sunscreen, but you’re armed with an added anti aging shield thanks to your naturally oily skin. Oily skin also tends to be thicker so it can handle more intense weather and let’s not forget, for cosmetic purposes, it also gives the appearance of a built-in glow. Remember, many people spend money on trying to achieve that look!
The skincare routine I want to recommend for oily skin is intended to keep your moisture-barrier intact and not strip the healthy oil from your face but to help with balancing excess production that could be due to a hormonal imbalance, changes in weather or the cosmetics you’re using.
1) Wash your face twice a day. You want to avoid stripping your skin of its protective oil so you want a cleanser that’s free of soaps or detergents, which strip away all traces of oil, leaving your skin’s natural balance out of whack. Our Regenerating Cleanser is going to obliterate grease and excess oil without leaving your skin dry and parched- which will then cause oil glands to overcompensate. Apply 2-3 pumps of the Regenerating Cleanser to dry skin. Massage gently to activate the enzymes and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
2) Exfoliate twice a week to loosen buildup and remove dirt and oil from your pores. Our Resurfacing Mask provides physical and chemical exfoliation as pomegranate enzymes provide deep cleansing and pore minimization and french pink clay reduces the appearance of pores and helps detoxify skin. Apply a thick layer to clean skin. Leave the mask on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. In the summer, I would try our New Soothing Apricot version because it has the same benefits of our original mask but its boosted with Apricot Stem Cells to promote cellular renewal and its soothing and cooling… and did I mention it smells delicious? Like a fresh piece of fruit!
3) I recommend just a pea size of our Rejuvenating Serum over entire face and neck in the morning and at night to those with oily skin. Sometimes, people are hesitant to add another layer but you’ll see that this serum absorbs so rapidly that it doesn’t sit on the skin. It goes in quickly and delivers high performance anti aging benefits to the skin with its water based delivery system.
4) For lightweight moisture, apply 1-2 pumps of Rebuilding Moisturizer over face and neck for a silky-matte finish. This is another oil-free, water based formula.
5) The Restorative Eye Creme is amazing for all skin types because it has an extremely lightweight feel and goes absorbs quickly. It won’t sit on the skin or make makeup slide off later in the day. Add 1/2 pea size amount around the entire eye area – upper and lower lid – to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and puffiness.
6) The Replenishing Nutrient Complex is an unexpected product for oily skin types, but it dramatically helps balance sebum production for skin that’s less oily in the long-term. Plus, it gives a luminous, nourished glow.
Have more questions about creating a natural and nontoxic skincare routine for oily skin? Ask me on Facebook or twitter!
You have combination skin. If there was such thing as “normal” skin, this is it… experts say this is the most common skincare type amongst women!
If you fall under the combination skin category, it’s likely that you may have and oily T-zone, dry patches on the cheeks, medium pores, a smooth texture and a healthy tone, which is a sign of healthy circulation (that is something to be happy about). Through my personal experiences traveling the world and speaking to women about their glow, their breakouts, their dark circles and rosy cheeks, what I have found to be true is that combination has its unique characteristics and individual needs that sometimes fall outside what a typical combo skincare routine looks like and so combination skin often doesn’t get the full attention it deserves. Upon examination skin, I’ll often find that combination skin has blackheads, broken capillaries, dull tone and sometimes mild rosacea. This isn’t about going looking for flaws, this is about taking skin that’s already beautiful and allowing it to glow in its most healthy, balanced state.
In the regimen below, I’ll suggest an all encompassing regimen for “combination skin” and then make some additional recommendations for areas where combination skin could experience problems.
1) Use the Regenerating Cleanser as your daily face face wash. This cleanser couldn’t be more perfect for you. It’s going to soften the dry patches on your cheeks thanks to apricot seed powder to reveal smooth and glowing skin. This formula also has aloe leaf juice powder and that will hydrate and repair tissue damage. It’s not going to strip your natural moisture barrier because its completely formulated without surfactants, sulfates or any other foaming agents. Why is this important? When you’re taking more moisture and oil out of the skin than necessary, your skin needs to overcompensate and replenish itself and it does so by delivering extra oil which is what we see in the t-zone.
2) My belief is that layering multiple lightweight products for combination skin is better than using one heavy product. We all know moisture is key in an antiaging routine and it keeps the skin resilient. After you cleanse, you’ll want to spritz our Hydrating Floral Essence 4-5 times over your entire face and that’s going to give you another layer of moisture. The pure essential oils inside, jasmine and tangerine, restore tone, soothe and reduce redness and even out your tone.
3) While the skin is still damp from spritzing your floral, apply a thin layer of Rejuvenating Serum all over. This is your daily antiaging collagen treatment and I recommend it to everyone, not just those with combination skin. It’s powered by Hyaluronic Acid, which is rich in antioxidants and vitamins ,for a visibly healthier, more radiant appearance. Our serum promotes a firm, youthful look, while supporting elasticity and helping to protect the skin from environmental damage.
4) Our Rebuilding Moisturizer is best for combination skin because it provides deep hydration with a matte finish. Plus, it has willow bark and meadosweet which help encourage cellular renewal and sloughs off dead skin, revealing more luminous, healthy-looking skin. Apply two pumps to the entire face and neck after your Rejuvenating Serum.
5) The Resurfacing Mask is a miracle worker for combination skin, because it does a little bit of everything. It totally exfoliates and decongests the top layer of the skin for a refreshed look and softer skin. It tightens and minimizes pores, reduces redness, and fights breakout with Willow Bark, a natural form of salyclic acid. It’s tough enough that it really works, but it’s gentle and non-irritating, too. Essentially, it does the work of a peel to immediately improve appearance, but without the downtime or irritation. Use it three times in one week to regulate sebum production and get skin back to a healthy balance (it will glow, guaranteed), and then in the weeks following, just once a week. Layer it on clean skin and let it fully dry; leave on for 20-30 minutes and rinse off.
6) I simply have to recommend our Concentrated Brightening Serum, a powerful treatment that is super targeted to treat hyperpigmentation and dark spots. This falls in the combination category because often people with combination skin are working to heal their complexions from darkness left over by acne, or from unwanted freckles or sun spots. This serum has a complex of ingredients that fight the entire cascade of the events within the layers of the skin that form a dark spot, to effectively reduce existing darkness and prevent new ones from forming. Apply it as a special nighttime treatment in a thick layer before bed, or spread it on targeted concern areas.
7) Last but never least is our Replenishing Nutrient Complex. If you have combination skin and are only interested in trying out one product, this is it! This is an incredibly powerful balancing and healing facial oil serum that penetrates the skin quickly and leaves it feeling non-greasy and nourished. Sometimes I wonder if there’s anything this product can’t do. It helps regulate excess oil production, helps heal the appearance of scars, calms inflammation and reduces irritation, and its high concentration of Rosehip Seed Oil infuses the skin with a healthy glow. Roll a thin layer over your skin as the last step, and load it on extra thick overnight for a luxuriously hydrating treatment.