We’re kicking off the weekend with two exciting things: the first is a giveaway of our new favorite cookbook, Everyday Detox by Megan Gilmore (aka The Detonixista) – and the second is an easy, mouthwatering Quinoa and Mushroom Burger recipe from that very book – which is exactly the recipe you were looking for, for that Saturday night summer potluck you have coming up!
Everyday Detox has been in my kitchen for only a few days and I can already tell it’s going to make a big difference in the way I eat this summer. For example, I just learned that, healthy-digestion wise, it’s not a good idea to have fresh fruit and starches in the same meal. Or, for that matter, starches and animal protein. So, what on earth to make as a side for that fruit or chicken salad? Veggies, veggies, veggies! Thank goodness that this cookbook is full of delicious ideas for that very dilemma.
Megan’s book is full of important, fascinating nutritional information – she’s poured a career’s worth of knowledge as a certified holistic health counselor and nutritionist into the pages. What’s unique about it is that it’s all about healthy digestion and detoxification, so each recipe is designed to leave your belly happy and healthy – no more bloating or indigestion. The book is launching on June 2nd, and we’re so excited to announce that Megan wants to share a copy with one of you readers! Plus, we thought we’d include two of our summer skincare essentials along with the prize: our Regenerating Cleanser and Hydrating Floral Essence.
To enter the giveaway, use the widget below to Tweet a message, and leave a comment on this post letting us know why you’d like to win the cookbook! We’ll pick one entrant at random on Saturday, June 16th and will announce them here, on the Blog. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
**This giveaway has now ended. Congratulations Bernadette L! You’re our lucky gal. Hope you love the cookbook and our two skincare essentials! xx **
Plus, I will mention that Megan is giving away an e-book with 7 bonus recipes (all vegan and mostly nut-free) along with 7 days of free Physique 57 workouts, which can be redeemed from anywhere in the world using their online streaming workout system. You can find out more about that pre-order bonus here!
And now, the perfect veggie burger recipe…
“These burgers may be vegetarian, but theyre still a good source of protein thanks to the addition of quinoa. This gluten-free pseudograin is a complete source of protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. But unlike meat, it also packs a hefty dose of fiber with each serving (almost twice as much fiber as most grains!). While many veggie burgers use flour as a binder, this recipe calls for whole cooked quinoa, which wont spike your insulin levels the way flour can. Since these simple burgers are starch-based, you can enjoy them on your favorite bun or lettuce wrap, along with a side of Seasoned Sweet Potato Home Fries for a satisfying, yet easily digested meal. Serves 4.
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
½ cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon coconut oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
?. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the mushrooms, carrots, and celery in a single layer on the lined baking sheet and place in the oven to dry-roast for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the quinoa in a small saucepan and cover with the water. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat, and cook for ?5 minutes, until all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until tender, 8 to ?0 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked onion and garlic, roasted vegetables, and cooked quinoa to a large food processor fitted with an S blade. Add the cumin, chili powder, and salt and process until a uniform mixture is created. It should be sticky enough to easily form burger patties. When in doubt, err on the side of overprocessing this mixture, as it needs to be very sticky in order to not fall apart when baked.
- Divide the mixture into 4 servings (about ½ cup each) and use your hands to shape patties that are ½ inch thick. Arrange them on the lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a spatula to carefully flip them over (they will be delicate) and then return to the oven to bake for an additional ?5 minutes. The burgers are done when the outside is crisp, but the inside is still tender. Serve warm.
Author: Tata Harper Team
The team at Tata Harper Skincare is passionate about promoting a modern, health-conscious natural beauty lifestyle that’s committed to safety, honesty and sustainability.