A central part of the age-defying strategy that Tata used to develop her line of natural skincare was to tackle the effects that environmental aging has on the skin, a term that Tata uses all the time to explain exactly how some of our products help reduce the signs of aging on all layers of the dermis. I was curious about this term, since originally I thought there was only one way for skin to age: it simply happened over time, as a cumulative result of many different factors. While this is true, I learned that there are names for the different types of aging that the body and therefore the skin experience, and there are different ways to manage each one.
Aging is a result of genetic, hormonal, and environmental effects, so naturally these are the three types of aging. They are all fairly self explanatory, but environmental aging is the only one that we have any control over and that is preventable. Learning to protect and manage your exposure to the types of toxins and pollutants that contribute to aging, and incorporating it into your daily lifestyle can have a huge effect on the health and longevity of your skin – and on how many wrinkles, sun and age spots you develop over time!
What are some things that qualify as contributors to environmental aging? Daily exposure to UV rays, to toxins in everyday substances and materials we come across, and to pollutants that are in air (smog, smoke and cigarette smoke) and water. Essentially, all of these things are loaded with free radicals that directly attack the body’s natural anti-aging support structure by inhibiting collagen production, breaking down elastin in the skin, and dehydrating the dermis. The sun is the true villain of environmental aging: literally every time you go out in the sun without some sort of protection, you are causing damage – albeit a little -to your skin.
As these free radicals wreak havoc in our system, they advance aging by accelerating the skin’s creation of sun and age spots and cause premature wrinkles and fine lines in the skin. A few wrinkles are of course not the end of the world, but the truth is that a good amount of this damaging environmental exposure can be avoided, with simple lifestyle and skincare steps. Here are 5 suggestions from Tata for avoiding environmental aging:
1) Sun Protection Every Day! Wearing SPF every day will, guaranteed, have a visible effect on your skin over time in terms of keeping lines, wrinkles and spots to a minimum. UV rays are damaging and break down the collagen and elastin in your skin; whatever you can do to block those rays will help! Hats, shade, beach umbrellas, sunglasses to protect your eyes, even glass that prevents UV rays from getting into your car!
2) Fresh Fruits & Veggies for Maximum Antioxidants. Free-radicals cause environmental aging on the skin, and antioxidants kill them. Antioxidant-rich foods include coffee (woo!), green tea, berries, broccoli, garlic, spinach, red grapes and tomatoes. Ensure that every day includes at least 2 antioxidant-rich things to keep your internal anti-aging army in fighting shape!
3) Use One Last Skincare Layer to Protect Against Pollution. Our Replenishing Nutrient Complex was formulated by Tata to do exactly that. A light, easily-absorbed multivitamin face oil, it provides the skin with a layer of barrier protection to keep toxins and pollutants in the air out. Plus, since it is so nourishing and contains ingredients that actually work to reverse sun damage, and also hydrates to prevent damage caused by dehydration. It’s a staff favorite, and the nourishing benefits it has on the skin are felt immediately.
4) Manage Your Stress! Stress counts as one of the factors of environmental aging, since stress is caused by external factors in our environment – work, family, schedules, traveling, conflict. Stress has powerfully negative affects on our entire bodies and directly contributes to premature aging in the skin. Take 10 minutes each day to de-stress, get regular massages to relax, incorporate calming aromatherapy into your daily work schedule, and don’t forget about the stress management benefits of regular exercise!
5) Check Your Household Products for Toxins & Chemicals. This one requires a little research. Look at all of the ingredient labels on the household products you use – cleaning products, dish soap, air freshening sprays, laundry detergent etc. While you may feel that you are using these products on your house and not on you, it can’t be having an affect on your body, but indeed it is. Our skin is highly absorbent and these chemicals are pervasive and designed to penetrate things- surfaces as well as skin. Reducing your exposure by swapping conventional products for ones that are produced by reputable green product companies will have a long-term positive effect on your body’s aging process.
Have any other suggestions for reducing our exposure to environmental toxins? It can seem overwhelming, but incorporating even just one or two of these action items into your lifestyle will have positive results on your skin, which is always reflecting our bodies’ health, at every age.
Author: Tata Harper Team
The team at Tata Harper Skincare is passionate about promoting a modern, health-conscious natural beauty lifestyle that’s committed to safety, honesty and sustainability.