Despite our best efforts at willing summer to stick around for a little while longer, winter is definitely upon us. And with that, the inevitable shift in the way the skin feels: it’s a little more easily dehydrated, it feels a little tighter and less dewy and naturally hydrated. Dry patches, itchiness and irritation may appear, or get worse. Keeping the skin properly hydrated, with a healthy moisture balance, isn’t only important because it keeps the skin feeling good, but it’s crucial for keeping the signs of aging at bay. Dry skin is more prone to developing fine lines and wrinkles, plus can appear more dull and lackluster.
While Tata doesn’t recommend flip-flopping between products and regimens constantly (consistency is important, to let the skin really enjoy the long-term benefits of your skincare products), moisture is the one department where there simply must be some seasonal variation. In the hot, humid weather, one may not need a moisturizer at all – a serum or light toner may provide all the hydration needed. But in the winter, it’s essential that we maintain deep hydration as well as a healthy barrier.
Here are some basic ways you can promote healthy hydration in the skin no matter how chilly and dry your winter environment may be.
1) Exfoliate regularly, to keep the skin glowy and to help prep the skin to better receive the hydrating benefits of your moisturizing products. Decongesting the buildup in the surface of the skin that accumulates daily is essential for daily glow and radiance – plus, by leaving a purified surface behind, moisturizers can work their magic even better. Explore our daily exfoliating cleanser here, and our weekly mask exfoliating treatment for instant glow here.
2) Avoid cleansers and toners with soaps, detergents or alcohols. These astringent ingredients strip the skin of its essential moisture, leaving the skin feeling tight, dry and depleted. Soaps are detrimental because they rob the skin of its healthy, natural moisture that it works so hard to create and maintain – therefore prompting the skin to go into sebum (facial production) overdrive to make up for its suddenly dry environment. Instead, opt for cleansers that use enzymes, clays and essentials to purify, detoxify and polish the skin. It is possible to have skin that feels hydrated and healthy even after cleansing! Check out our cleansers here – soap-free, and formulated to leave the skin glowing and feeling soft and supple.
3) Wearing makeup throughout the day? Replenish moisture on top of makeup with a hydrating spritz. There’s nothing worse than realizing your skin is feeling a little bit dry underneath your makeup. There is just no way to apply a cream. Opt for a hydrating spray – they are out there! – and use throughout the day to replenish moisture. Our Hydrating Floral Essence is a perfect example of a moisturizing booster that has weightless humectants that penetrate makeup and the skin immediately, and help to trap moisture from your environment to keep the skin hydrated and supple all day. Makeup won’t be wrecked – in fact, we all think it helps makeup look even better.
4) Drink lots of water, and eat foods that hydrate from the inside out. The general rule is 1-2 liters of water a day; though it can feel like a chore, it can boost the skin’s radiance and plumpness. The skin is our bodies largest organ, and performs routine maintenance activities every day and night, and like the rest of our bodies, water helps it do its job efficiently. Hydrating foods include fruits, like apples, berries and melons, and certain veggies like spinach, cucumber, celery, tomatoes and carrots.
5) Avoid lots of caffeine! Ever notice how drinking lots of coffee sends you to the bathroom more often than usual? Well that’s not only because you’re drinking lots of liquid; it’s a mild diuretic so it prompts the body to produce more urine, which means your body’s processing the water in your system faster than normal. In other words, it can dry you out (alcohol does this too). If you’re really striving for moisture, avoid these dehydrating culprits.
Lastly, may we introduce to you the Winter Moisturizing Essentials set? (Pictured above!) Tata put together a perfect set of products to keep the skin, lips and body hydrated through the cold months: a non-drying, hydration-promoting cleanser, a rich, silky moisturizer for the face, a light moisturizing facial oil, a hydrating body oil, and Be Fierce – a super-hydrating lip treatment. Explore the new set here.
Author: Tata Harper Team
The team at Tata Harper Skincare is passionate about promoting a modern, health-conscious natural beauty lifestyle that’s committed to safety, honesty and sustainability.