Hello to all the beautiful readers here on Angel Road!
I am so excited to be joining this amazing community of inspiring writers. I am the National Trainer and Lead Esthetician for Tata Harper Skin Care. I love educating people on our amazing and wondrous organ: the skin!
There are lots of popular questions I receive when it comes to the skins appearance; many people ask me about puffiness and dark circles under the eye. Our Restorative Eye Crème is amazing at reducing these issues, but first lets tackle dark circles why do we see them?
Our skin is a great indicator as to what is going on internally within the body. When we have tired eyes with dark circles, a few things may be to blame. The skin around our eyes (and lips) is some of the thinnest skin we have on our whole body. There is a beautiful network of microcirculation that happens underneath the skin of the eye. When our microcirculation slows down, we see a shadow under our eye that is caused by stagnant blood flow. We do not have a lot of adipose tissue (fatty tissue) around the eye and this allows the poor circulation to show through.
Factors that contribute to poor circulation include:
- Natural passage of time: As we age our capillary walls become thinner and more visible. This hinders the ability of red blood vessels to pass successfully through the circulatory network.
- Lack of sleep: When we skimp on restful slumber our body doesnt have adequate time to repair and nourish our tissues and organs.
- Dehydration: When we have a lack of moisture, dark circles become more prominent. A common source for dehydration is alcohol and sodium consumption.
- Lack of Vitamins and Nutrients: There are many great vitamins and antioxidants that can dramatically reduce dark circles, including Vit. A, C, K, and E. They help to strengthen the capillary walls and increase circulation. Antioxidants are our bodys superheroes!
Puffiness, which is also a major concern, can be a direct result of poor microcirculation which creates an excess buildup of fluids. I believe we can all relate to the swollen and puffy aftermath of a romantic tear jerker Puffiness can also be caused by allergies and congestion. If you are sneezing, it is probably an allergy from external sources. If you have chronic puffiness and no real issue with pollen, then I am going to provide some seemingly crazy advice cut dairy from your diet. Yep, milk, cheese, yogurt cut it out for at least two weeks and your internal congestion and inflammation will go down.
Steps you can take to reduce puffiness and dark circles:
- As often as possible it is important to get 6-8 hours of sleep.
- Drink water throughout the day, as soon as you wake up (maybe with a squeeze of lemon?) and have a water bottle with you at work to remind you to keep hydrating.
- Reduce your sodium by flavoring your food with different blends of herbs and spices instead of salt.
- Try enjoying fresh juices and sparkling water instead of alcoholic drinks your body will thank you!
Most importantly, you can use a great eye crème that is packed with powerful vitamins and antioxidants. Our Restorative Eye Crème has some amazing 100% natural ingredients that reduce dark circles and puffiness:
- Olea Europea which is very high in Viamin E, a great antioxidant and skin softener
- Buckwheat Wax is a proven ingredient to reduce puffiness because it increases micro-circulation and strengthens capillary walls
- Arnica is rich in Vitamins A, B, C, D, and E which provide anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Gotu-Kola is phenomenal because it drastically increases blood circulation while reducing swelling (its also in our Body Lotion for broken capillaries and spider veins!)
We hope this helps! Know any other go-