- A lot of people are surprised to learn that Im Latin American – I was born and grew up in Colombia, and didnt move to the US till my mid-20s. In Colombia, nicknames are very common, I feel like I never called anyone their full name growing up. I got the nickname Tata from my grandmother.
- Ive been in love with beauty and beauty products for as long as I can remember – since I was about 10. I used to go with my aunt, every Saturday, to the local beauty store, and would stock up on fresh fun supplies like nail polish, masks, creams, makeup, everything. I loved doing facials on my dad – my sister and I would give him facials on weekends. Without even realizing it, I was setting myself up for a life in the beauty business.
- Growing up, I always thought I was going to be a fashion designer. I was so sure that was my destiny. When I was in high school my friend and I had a little fashion design company and my notebooks were all full of doodles of shirts and dresses ideas they still are!
- If I had to choose between spending the day in a city or outdoors in nature, Id go for the outdoors. I love exploring woods, hiking, exploring nature reservations, somewhere off the beaten path. Thats my type of vacation.
- Im an engineer, as well as a beauty CEO. I studied engineering in Monterrey, Mexico. When thinking about why I did it, I really went for it because my mom suggested to my sister and I that it would be a good idea to study something serious that could take us anywhere in the world. If I was going to pursue fashion, she thought it was likely that I wouldnt make it out of Colombia, but she wanted global opportunities for us, and an education that would really help us grow as professionals. So, we both went to school to study engineering without really knowing what it was – but we loved it!
- My favorite movies are Pride and Prejudice, the Thomas Crowne Affair, and Meet Joe Black.
- I dont think anybody realizes how much chocolate I eat every day. I have a serious sweet tooth. If Im out at a restaurant for dinner, theres no way Im skipping dessert. Every afternoon, I take a minute to have a little chocolate snack.
- I actually really do live on a farm! I think that since our farm is a big part of our companys branding, a lot of people think that its just where the company is based, and we live somewhere else nearby. But my husband, children and I live right here, on a 1,200 acre property that includes fields, woods, pasture, little rivers. We have chickens, horses, cows, sheep, goats – its the real thing!
- Skiing is one of my favorite winter pastimes, but I didnt grow up skiing – I didnt learn till I was in my mid 20s. I learned in Aspen, which is still one of my favorite places to go.
- Meditating has recently become a really important part of my day. I used to have sort of an oh-whatever attitude towards taking time for myself every day, to really find quiet and stillness, but now its really necessary. I think that when I first had children, I sort of forgot to take time for myself, and then all of a sudden I realized that my mind really wasnt in the best place. Now I really prioritize it, and find it to be really vital. I really believe in taking time to discover what your own best stress management and coping mechanisms are, and to find space in every day for those techniques. For me, its meditating and aromatherapy baths.
Author: Tata Harper
I want to create beauty products that meet the standards of the modern woman: luxurious, effective, and nontoxic.