Oh is it Friday? (I hardly noticed.) Friday the 13th? (Rea-lly?) Which would then make tomorrow -wait for it- Valentine’s Day? (Hmm you don’t say). Whether we choose to participate or not; there is no hiding from it: Valentine’s Day is around the corner and (thanks to a barrage of red,white & hearts all over reminders) we have known for weeks. We know.
The team is extremely selective when it comes to deciding which Holidays we’ll celebrate with the tataharperskincare.com audience. Should we celebrate Veteran’s Day with a skincare set? Probably not but there was no nixing of the VDay. We did, however, want to celebrate differently than we have in past years. Our decided campaign was Self Love Beautifies borrowed from that sentiment by Oscar Wilde- To love ones self is the beginning of a lifelong romance.. We created this new natural skincare, cosmetics and aromatherapy (+chocolate) set with Tata and our friends at Lake Champlain Chococlate and sent out these beautiful Valentines to all our February customers asking them to share what they love about themselves. Our intention was that this little writing exercise could create a flutter of mini reminders that, yes, in order to be able to truly love another, a person needs (first) to love oneself in this way and not in a conceited fashion but by caring about oneself, taking responsibility for oneself and, ultimately, knowing oneself. We had no idea we’d be giving ourselves this same gift. When the Valentines came in from the printers, we examined them for type-Os, ensured the artwork matched then took turns filling them out- why not? As it turns out, it took a little more time to complete than we imagined because seldom do we spend time in this head-space, “What do I really love about myself?”. Needless to say, we were quite fond of ourselves in that moment because aside from being part of the team that makes zero-compromise skincare available to those who make physiological well being a paramount priority, we realized we were adding additional wellness value that had potential to translate psychologically in ways that made our hearts sing. Just from one small touch. Such a nice surprise!
To continue the theme of how awesome unexpected love can be, Friday 5 is about these 5 recent and completely unexpected discoveries I’m loving at the moment.
1. This lip. I’ve been completely loyal to our “very charming” (a girl’s girl pink) since we launched the 3 natural volumizing lip & cheek tint shades in the Summer. We recently released “very naughty” (a sheer cherry red) and I never thought I could wear reds but am totally smitten with this color.
2. This girl. A friend sent me this video last night and I was reminded of how impressed I was by 14 year old activist, Rachel Parent when I first watched it. Back in 2013, Rachel challenged TV personality Kevin O’Leary on the widely debated topic of GMOs in which she so eloquently advocates that consumers have a right to know and there should be mandatory labeling laws to protect them from corporations that stand to greatly profit from using GMOs.
3. This man. His name is Spencer, host of “Spencer’s Painting of the Week”, a Youtube series I stumbled upon and have become completely enamored with. It’s a borderline obsession. Each week Spencer walks his audience through a different masterpiece, sharing history and critique, and it instantly brings me back to Art Apprection lectures in UMass’ Mahoney Hall. Loved these classes! If you were to watch you’d be amazed at how easy it can be to truly appreciate art from your own home! Here is his commentary on the 3rd panel of the famous triptych, Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch.
4. This bling. Wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day without it. I can appreciate what may be one of the most pinned jewelry item out there, the Cartier love ring, but still think a vintage locket is infinitely cooler, more romantic, lust-worthy!
5. This quote. By Thomas Merton. He was a poet, social activist, student of comparative religion and author of this one line beauty. Thought it was perfect and just in time.
Happy Valentine’s Day,