Brace yourself; winter is coming which means the Holidays will be here before you know it.
At Tata Harper Skincare, we go on Holiday almost immediately after Labor Day. That is not to say we are all gone fishin before the start of Autumn (we do that in the Summer thank you very much!), what I mean is were busy planning gift wrap, gift guides, exclusive sets, stocking stuffers and gifts with purchase all before the leaves turn gold. This is our busiest time of the year and its equally exciting as it is exhausting. Last year I nearly passed out in pumpkin pie so when an opportunity presented itself to go on holiday (the real deal) before the full swing of the busy season, my entire being said, YES. 100%. I presumed that getting in a little R&R now instead of putting it off until January might be the wise thing to do this year. Normally I wait to take the break and I am so happy I didnt because Im certain that by recharging my batteries before, Ive given myself the opportunity to be more present to the joy that the season can bring fully knowing that also comes with a lot of hard work. I traveled to San Juanillo, a relatively small village located on the west coast of Costa Rica along the Pacific Ocean. It was wonderful. The law of the land in Costa Rica is Pura Vida, Spanish for pure life, which is an expression that takes many forms, everything from a warm salutation to a synonym of “hakuna matata.” Its A Wonderful Life. Enjoy it. Ironically, its English translation is one of the enduring lessons learned from my favorite black-and-white Holiday classic, Frank Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life. Imagine if George Bailey had only traveled to Costa Rica before things got a little crazy at Bailey Building and Loan Association on Christmas Eve? I suppose he was meant to meet Clarence. Anyhow, making a mental note to share one of my favorite scenes from that film when I share the Friday 5 Holiday Inspiration next time, which I promise will be chock full of bougie garland, gingerbread and all that other stuff. Now, this week I want to share the other kind, the real deal, Holiday inspiration that can sneak up on you out of nowhere in a surprisingly perfect remote jungle villa. These Friday 5s are intended to be literal daydreams and this is wanderlust.
1. New music. I had heard of Hozier before but hadnt listened to From Eden until I was scrambling to make my travel playlist at the eleventh hour. Its the score of the trip, a beautiful, captivating, achy (in a good way) song. Also, hes not so bad on the eyes!
2. New Beauty. I have and use every single Tata Harper product we make and when I travel I have to edit. TSA. Rrrr. Ask our design team, I despise editing! So imagine youre a Tata Harper insider and youre traveling to a deserted beach and can only bring one product, what would it be? This isnt a hypothetical, this is truth because I only used one product the entire time: our Beautifying Face Oil. Hands down, this has become my favorite. It moisturizes, softens and brightens the skin like no other. My sister doesnt believe me that my vaca glow came from a bottle but it did.
3. New Pose. This was Halloween at Playa Pelada, a small, curving secluded white sand beach tucked between Punta Nosara and Punta Guiones, and home of my wheel pose. Something I have been trying to do lately is practice yoga outside of the studio because I believe in the benefits of moving your body creatively to open yourself up more fully to new situations. This is where I wheeled around. Mind, Body, Green says you can feel good about practicing Wheel Pose because it energizes you physically and mentally. It counteracts stress, depression and anxiety. Theres 9 other reasons to love wheel position that you can check out on their site. #11. I love it because it happened here, who wouldnt?
4. New gear. Theres what I wore and what I wanted to wear. This Lisa Marie Fernandez Rubber Neoprene Bandeau Bikini from Net-A-Porter was calling my name when I was preparing for my travel but I thought Am I really going to buy a rubber bikini? Is this the time and place? Probably not, but heres the thing if everyone else can go out on Halloween and be a sexy firefighter, a sexy Elsa, a sexy Ice Bucket Challenge girl, there is no good reason why I cant be a Bond Girl in Costa Rica. Next time
photo credit: tasty-yummies.com
5. New old favorite. The coffee in Costa Rica is goooood. It had been a year since I had coffee and couldnt say no once I caught a waft of the dark roast that brewing inside the villa and onto the porch. As Seinfeld argues in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Its about the mooo-oood. I had no choice, I took pleasure in all the little, textured indulgences offered up especially the return to coffee. Im still chugging H20 but the trip reminded my palette about an old favorite, the dirty chai. Have you ever one? It’s an espresso drink made of a shot of espresso mixed into a ‘chai tea’ (or masala chai), usually made with a chai concentrate and steamed milk. Adding mocha to it is decadent and 2 shots of espresso make it a filthy chai. Its DELICIOUS. Try one next time youre at your local coffee shop or check out this recipe at tasty-yummies.com for an iced version, its actually the perfect holiday drink, which is the perfect segway to our next Friday 5 Holiday Inspiration. See you soon.